Best Practices

Non-traditional sources of funding for source water protection

Examples of how states are using drinking water and clean water state revolving funds, as well as other non-traditional funds, to support source water protection were explored during a webinar on October 11th, 2012.

  • New Hampshire’s Water Supply Land Protection Grant Program provides funding to land trusts and municipalities to protect critical lands through purchase or conservation easement. The grant program provides up to 25 percent of the cost of the transaction. The remaining 75 percent is paid for by the applicant typically through donations of land or partnerships with other grant programs. Download the New Hampshire webinar presentation.
  • The national team identified an opportunity in the state of Missouri to make use of funding from Supplemental Environmental Projects for source water protection. Download the Supplemental Environmental Project webinar presentation.
  • North Carolina’s Source Water Protection Program devised a strategy to use Clean Water State Revolving Funds to increase the amount of funding available for protecting drinking water supplies. As a first step they introduced drinking water as a priority into the Fund’s Intended Use Plan. Download the North Carolina webinar presentation.
  • The Trust for Public Land has investigated how money from the Clean Water State Revolving Fund can support land conservation, including opportunities for protecting critical drinking water areas. Download the Clean Water State Revolving Fund webinar presentation.

Watch a recording of this webinar to learn more.